Hey Ya'll

I love to cook. It is an expression of love for me. I hope you will enjoy the recipes I post. May the Lord bless and keep each of you!



Prov. 31:15 She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens.

You can find me on Pinterest!!















Monday, June 7, 2010

Mexican Chicken Casserole with Rice

                                                                                                                




1½lbs chicken, cooked and shredded (I use rotisserie chicken) or
you can use ground turkey
2 cups long grain white or brown rice (if you use brown rice, cook it ahead of time)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 large bell pepper (any color), diced
1 10 oz can of tomatoes and green chilies (Ro Tel if available, but other brands may be substituted)
if you use stewed tomatoes add a can of chilies
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sharp cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, grated
1/2 bar of cream cheese(add to rice while rice is hot)
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp cumin
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place rice in a 9x13 glass baking dish and cover with the shredded chicken or ground turkey and salt and pepper.
Mix the soup, broth, canned tomatoes and chilies, onion, garlic, pepper and spices and pour over the chicken, cream cheese and rice(add while rice is hot).  Bake for 45 minutes, covered and check the white rice for doneness. I really prefer the brown rice and I do cook it ahead of time.
The white rice should be tender and have absorbed most of the liquid.
Carefully remove from the oven, top with the cheese and return to the oven for 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Serve with tortilla chips and fresh guacamole.

1 comment:

  1. I made this using ground turkey and it was good. But I kept saying to my husband that something is missing. I left out the cream cheese.

    ReplyDelete